TrackSide Bahamas

Friday 2 August 2013

Road To Recovery: the Leevan 'Superman' Sands Story

"...I picked up the mentality that when I got beat, I’d come back hard and keep trying until I accomplish my goals."
WHO IS THE REAL SUPERMAN?

Leevan Sands is arguably one of the best triple jumpers of all-time to hail from the English-speaking Caribbean. He is one of the most decorated Bahamian track and field athletes, and has had numerous numbers of successes from his amateur, collegiate and professional years of competition. The three-time Olympian had a bronze medal and national record performance of 17.59 meters (57 ft 8 ½ inches) at the 2008 hosting of the XXIX Olympic Games in Beijing, China, breaking his own previous record of 17.50 meters (57 ft 5 inches) set at the NJCAA National Outdoor Championships 2002 in Odessa, TX.

Leevan was poised and looking to surpass similar results at the London hosting of the Games four years later.  But as fate would have it, a difficult challenge would be thrown at him in the finals. This challenge came in the form of a knee injury in his fourth round attempt, one that he would reluctantly have to accept. He finished 5th overall 17.19 meters (56' 4¾"), and this was the birth of the initial “Road to Recovery.”

GETTING BACK, GIVING BACK, & IMPACTING LIVES


The project started when Leevan heard his cousin Brandon ‘So$aMan’ Major’s song titled 'TIME'. “He called me up with the idea to document his return because people were thinking he was finished. Two weeks later we flew to Auburn to start the story. As executive Producer I worked along with Leevan Sands (Creative Director) to organize interview schedules, travel, and budget. Then from there we brought videographers on the team to record footage and edit. From there I put on my producer hat and began to set up promotion and press campaign for the music trailer and first part of the documentary,” said Major.

At the current moment, the team is continuing to record footage and set up promotional interviews to create awareness about the project. So$aMan continued, “Our goal is to inspire anyone on the road to recovery, whether it be physical, mental, emotional, spiritual or financial...the documentary touches on all aspects of Leevan's life giving viewers a peak behind the scenes of a champion. We hope that this will inspire a nation; we hope that this will encourage young athletes and musicians to be fearless and never give up. Simply, if we touch one person with this story and change one life then we have accomplished our goal.”


I WILL BOUNCE BACK

When asked about his initial thoughts, whiles lying down in London's pit after the injury, Sands said, "I just wanted to get back up to finish compete because I didn't know what had happened. It felt as if I had just slipped on a banana peel or on ice. But after seeing that my knee cap was sitting on my thigh, I was upset that I couldn't finish competing and bring home a medal I knew I could have for my country. I wanted to get up so badly to bring home the first medal for my country.

"Quitting was never in my blood. From I was a young boy, my father always taught my brother D'Angelo and I to never quit nor back down. My father always had us watch old karate movies where you’d see a guy get beat, train harder, and come back as a champion. So I picked up the mentality that when I got beat, I’d come back hard and keep trying until I accomplish my goals. Just like everyone else, I set goals in my head and try to achieve them, and if they don’t happen then I just keep trying. Like I knew this injury was tough when it first happened, and I never doubted at that moment I couldn't comeback from it. Even if I do comeback and don’t compete as well as I know I could, I still have to try."

A FAMILY AFFAIR: AN UNRELENTING SUPPORT!

The Superman's only kryptonite appears to be his family. He is always willing to unselfishly provide and protect them at all costs. However, there is no detrimental effect on him as, "that’s [his family] where most of my motivation comes from. Sometimes, family is all and the last people you see. Friends are always there, but you always have your family to fall on. I have my wife Danielle Burrows-Sands and two sons, Leevan Sands III & Lion Sands, who are my biggest support in my life and career. I feel they always give me that extra push, and have played a major role in my comeback by keeping me motivated," Sands explained.

"Watching my son, he wants to be a jumper like daddy. Just knowing he looks up to me and everyday he wants me to take him to the track and do the long jump gives me a little push. Seeing that I inspire him to do the same stuff that I do gives me a lot of strength and motivation.

"My immediate family who plays a key role in my life is my mother and father Elaine and Leevan Sands, my brother D'Angelo [who’s in Texas], my sisters Vandia [a 2013 Miss Bahamas contestant] and Bria [one of the top junior triple/high jumpers in the Bahamas]. The family has been huge contributors to my success. As far as the doubters, they motivate me too."

LIFE IN AUBURN & REABILITATION

"Well I've been in rehab, and like a baby I had to learn how to walk again. Then, I had to build up the strength in my leg to hold the weight. It’s been almost a year now and I've been feeling a lot better. It’s going to take some time. I just have to build my confidence back up, and that's going to happen when I jump again. That’s the only way," said Leevan. "I have to see how it feels and get use to my knees handling the pressure [of jumping] again."

Auburn University assistant head coach Henry Rolle [Bahamian] coaches the Auburn Elite track club to which Leevan is a member. Other members in this training camp include Bahamians like Sheniqua Ferguson, Anthonique Strachan, Bianca Stuart, Nivea Smith, and Donald Thomas. Additional members range from American and mostly other caribbean professional athletes. One would assume that having your fellow countrymen and women should make the ride on the road to recovery easier.

From the interview, this was evident in Sands' statement, "Well, you know everybody has been supporting me. My coach, Henry Rolle, is always checking up on me making sure that everything is alright. The group knows I’m self motivated type of person. They know that I can go out there by myself and find myself screaming and shouting in training. I just find the strength, and stay motivated. They played a major role in my comeback by always being there, sending me texts and calls, and showing support."

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM THE 'SUPERMAN' NEXT?

"Well, first thing is first. I sat out a year [2013 season], so I have to take it one day at a time and get back into training fully. Hopefully, I’ll be ready for indoors. I want to see how it feels by indoors, so I will be getting ready for the indoor season. But, I’d like to open my outdoor season at the Chris Brown Invitational."




A SPECIAL BAHAMIAN THANK YOU!

The road to recovery would not be possible without an amazing team of medical professionals. Leevan would like to extend special thanks and express his gratitude to all of those who assisted him from the day of his surgery to date. Those persons include: Dr. Chima who had performed the surgery in London, Dr. Hank Sloan in Atlanta, GA who was responsible for the Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments, Steve Kisor at rehab works and the entire rehab works in Auburn, AL, and Dr. Bob in Auburn, AL at EAMC who did all of the follow ups and checkups.

Also, he wants to let the family, friends and Bahamian people at home to know that they are the reason he did and will continue to do his best. He wants to thank them for the encouragement and well wishes.



LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Table Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leevan_Sands
Florida Air Academy (High School):
  • 1999 Florida's Gatorade Boys Track & Field Athlete of the Year
Barton County Community College:
  • 2-Time NJCAA Outdoor title
  • 2-Time NJCAA Indoor title
  • 4-Time NJCAA All-American
  • 2002 NJCAA Indoor National meet
    • 1st in Triple Jump 16.78m (55' 1")
    • 1st in Long Jump 7.84m (25' 8.75")
    • Male Field Athlete of the Meet
  • 2002 NJCAA Outdoor National meet
    • 1st in Triple Jump 17.50m (57' 5")
    • set NJCAA National Triple Jump Meet record
    • 1st in Long Jump 7.89m (25' 11")
Auburn University:
  • 2-Time NCAA Outdoor title
  • 4-Time NCAA All-American
  • 2004 SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year
  • 2003 NCAA Indoor Championships
    • 3rd in Long Jump 8.04m (26' 4.50")
  • 2003 NCAA Outdoor Championships
    • 1st in Long Jump 8.05m (26' 5")
    • runner-up in Triple Jump 16.92m (55' 6.25")
  • 2004 NCAA Outdoor Championships
    • 1st in Triple Jump 17.12m (56' 2")


Stay tuned this Fall 2013 for a full, exclusive documentary with interviews and so much more featuring Leevan's journey back to the top and down "the Road to Recovery!"

1 comment: